Re: [MTC Global] Global consequences of corruption :Nitin Nohria, Dean- Harvard Business School

Dear Sir, Bribing and Bribe taking are definitely unethical. However, in this worldly
life leading a pure and uncorrupted life is an ideal. A bribe need not be only concerned
with money. A favor, a gift with some expectation of a favor, a recommendation to enable
bypassing a fair process and in many myriad form does corruption manifest.
I do not think that corruption was ever eradicated in the past and in some societies it
is a way of life.

Do we accept all these actions if it for the greater good? We say taking bribe for
personal aggrandizement is bad. But suppose that we pay ransom to thugs to free innocent
hostages, is it bad? In these times it is ethical if one can provide reasons for one's
actions in the light of the existing mores of the societies.

In certain parts of our country as well as in some countries one cannot do any business
without paying the controlling groups money. The businessmen call it a nice name " rent".
If this rent is not paid, you will not only be punished but not allowed to do business.
Yet businessmen don't lose sleep just because they have to pay rent. They are happy if
they are able to pass on the cost to the consumer.

The western scholars would have us believe that their society is free from this taint.
Their way of getting around the " rent" problem is to legitimise it and made lawful
labeling it for services rendered. As long as services are billed and recorded and taxes
paid on them it is alright. It is a crime if the rent seeker does not provide a receipt.
He is liable for blackmail and punished for his crime.
We too have these laws, it is only that we breach them for fear of offending powerful
interests.

If the law is seriously enforced, the fear of bribing and rent seeking can be reduced
considerably.
Best Regards,
K.Paranjpe



On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 21:14:33 +0530 "'Dr. Pratap Reddy S' via Management Teachers
Consortium, Global" wrote
> There is nothing like being mostly ethical and slightly unethical. The fact is either
one is ethical or unethical***This reminds me a story(THOUGH HUMOROUS,PERMEATES A
PROFOUND MESSAGE as put forth above by Prof Prabhaker & Prof Varun) where a teen age
daughter was depressed ,not attending college,not eating,manifesting near fatal
behaviour.After several trials,mother fails to extract the reason why her daughter was
tending to be suicidal.Naturally,it was father's turn who as a last resort took upon
himself the responsibility to know why his child was at "point of no return".After long
persuasion,the girl whispers,"dad,I'm slightly pregnant!"Dr.S.Pratap ReddyFounder
Chairman
From: "Director, Aravali"
To: join_mtc@googlegroups.com
Sent: Saturday, 24 January 2015 11:12 AM
Subject: RE: [MTC Global] Global consequences of corruption :Nitin Nohria, Dean- Harvard
Business School

#mailMsgBodyContainer _filtered#yiv6551055023 {panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
#mailMsgBodyContainer _filtered#yiv6551055023 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2
4 3 2 4;}
#mailMsgBodyContainer _filtered#yiv6551055023 {font-family:Tahoma;panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4
4 2 4;}
#mailMsgBodyContainer _filtered#yiv6551055023 {font-family:Verdana;panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5
4 4 2 4;}
#mailMsgBodyContainer {margin:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;}
#mailMsgBodyContainer {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
#mailMsgBodyContainer {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}
#mailMsgBodyContainer {margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12.0pt;}
#mailMsgBodyContainer {color:#1F497D;}
#mailMsgBodyContainer _filtered#yiv6551055023 {margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}Dear
Dr. Prabhakar I am indeed highly pleased to read your mail and to know about your totally
ethical value system. I am certainly in the august company. I entirely agree with you
that bribe is a bribe, irrespective of the circumstances and justifications. There is
nothing like being mostly ethical and slightly unethical. The fact is either one is
ethical or unethical – there is no grey area. Moreover, when one pays or takes bribe, one
surrenders one's self-respect. Being ethical means being at peace with oneself,
manifested in the simple fact of getting good sleep in the night. Thanks and best regards
Varun Arya

From: join_mtc@googlegroups.com [mailto:join_mtc@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Prabhakar
WaghodekarSent: 24 January 2015 01:23To: join_mtc@googlegroups.com;
mapatil2004@gmail.comSubject: Re: [MTC Global] Global consequences of corruption :Nitin
Nohria, Dean- Harvard Business School There is nothing like small or trivial bribe and
big bribe. Bribe is a bribe and on long term basis it leads to fatal end to individual,
community and nation as a whole for the bribe gets compounded/accumulated many folds as
the time passes, the growth is exponential.It is true that non-bribe taking personnel are
singled out, isolated, put to harassment or sometimes trapped in some alleged unfair
practice just to eliminate the person from the racket. I, like many others. have faced
similar situations many times, suffered but by God's grace I did not yield and held high.
A few instances are:1. In 1966, I appeared the interview for the post of Assistant
Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering in one of the Govt. Polytechnic, but was not appointed
as I refused to pay my first pay to the Registrar and Principal.2. Sometimes during 1965-
67, I appeared for Air-Force Selection at Gwalior, but in-spite of my excellent
performance, I was simply rejected under the pretext that I was the eldest son in the
family, the real reason was somebody from Centre wanted selection of somebody else.3. I
appeared for UPSC, IRS, called in Delhi for medical examination and was refused a place
in IRS. Instead, they offered me a post in IOF under the pretext that my chest girth was
less than the standard. I refused to join IOF.4. In 1981, I was not sponsored for FPM at
IIM Ahmadabad (I attended IIM for two weeks and then asked to bring NOC from the Govt. of
Maharashtra as IIM faced some odd situation that time) simply because I refused to pay a
sum of Rs 2000 to the Office staff of Secretariat, Govt. of Maharashtra.5. During 1987-
1993, I had a very tough time with heavy mental tension as I refused to be a part of team
of a few seniors (I was too a senior faculty, Professor and HOD) involved in unfair
practices like accepting money for wine from a Class-III servant who hardly reported to
duties regularly, etc.6. I was the founder Principal of one SEFI during 1993-2004. On
investigation sometimes in March 1994, it was found that a failed XII student out of
State was admitted through the Central Admission Process, admission approved by the
University, student cleared the first Semester of FE, I removed the student in-spite of
pressure, the parents offered me Rs 1 lakh, I refused, the High Court Mumbai dismissed
the case against my College.7. Sometimes during 1995-97 while working as the Principal of
one SEFI, I attended interview with our Trust Joint Secretary in Mumbai before AICTE team
for approval for opening a new Women Engineering College in Pune. The Chairman started
making some perceived remarks against SEFIs; I saw a photo of Mahatma Gandhi on the wall
behind the Chairman. I opened my mouth telling the Chairman, Sir how the Chairman can
level such charges of lies and fraud in the presence of Mahatmaji's photo, I am not
expecting at least from you such charges. Our Secretary and other Committee Members were
aghast, anxiously waiting for some bitter reaction on the part of Chairman on my explicit
say. But to our surprise, the Chairman balanced himself and asked me Dr. Prabhakar, no
further inspection for you, the college is granted! 8. One Lecture was selected during
1995 under the SC category but later I found that he belonged to Open category. I shoot
my weapons but University and our Management came in the way. Even VC called me,
threatened me to close the file, else I will have to face dire consequences. I did not
budge, removed the faculty. The result was I lost the job in 2004.9. After losing the
job, I decided to purchase a flat in Pune in 2004. All transactions were in white money.
My lady pleader from Mumbai gave me a hint in the Office of Registrar that I can keep 70%
and pay 30% of saving to the Office that is ready to show lower price for the flat. I
refused to for such a deal on the plea this money belongs to my Nation, let it go to the
national treasury. The Registrar was so impressed that he paved the way, got DD from Dena
Bank at 20.30 hours, and purchase procedure was successfully completed with no trouble I
have treasure of such events. I am happy to be clean. My experience shows that clean
persons are honoured even by enemies because of integrity of a man, public have more
faith on such persons than they have on their own! Choice is ours: bribe or no bribe. I
learned to remain clean from my father who was working in the Revenue Department, very
clean and never accepted even a small bribe. The result, he used to get transferred every
after 9-12 months, refused promotions, etc. Because of my father's frequent transfers, I
had to stay away from him right from the 4th standard, I had never a chance to stay with
him continuously at least for one complete year. But my father, who died at the age of 85
years in 1994, was very happy, contended and a thorough gentleman following fully the
path of "Nishkam Karmayoga", the greatest gift ever I got.Bribe is a bribe. It is neither
speed money nor commission. Bribe is a crime, crime against oneself, against our kids and
kith, against our community and humanity as a whole. Bribe comes in several formats like
money, material, gifts, pleasing somebody, ill hidden agenda while serving or praising
somebody, etc.Stay away from bribe so as to get endowed with eternal happiness, peace of
mind and tranquility!. Regards,Dr. P H Waghodekar, PhD (Egg), IIT,KGP, IE&M, 1985,
Advisor (HR), IBS & PME (PG) Marathwada Institute of Technology, Aurangabad: 431028
(Maharashtra) INDIA.(O) 02402375113 (M) 7276661925 E-Mail:
waghodekar@rediffmail.comWebsite: www.mit.asiaandChairman, Advisory Board, MTC Global,
Bangalore.Engineering & Management Education: An Engine of Prosperity.Classroom teaching
must match with Boardroom needs! Get your own FREE website, FREE domain & FREE mobile app
with Company email. Know More >-- MTC GLOBAL- Educate, Empower, Elevate---

--
MTC GLOBAL- Educate, Empower, Elevate
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Management
Teachers Consortium, Global" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
join_mtc+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.





--
>
MTC GLOBAL- Educate, Empower, Elevate
>
---
>
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Management
Teachers Consortium, Global" group.
>
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
join_mtc+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
>
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>

Get your own FREE website, FREE domain & FREE mobile app with Company email.  
Know More >

--
MTC GLOBAL- Educate, Empower, Elevate
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Management Teachers Consortium, Global" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to join_mtc+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
College & Education © 2012 | Designed by